Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Rain, that Arch-Nemesis of Transportation

Of course, I slept through it all, but there were very high winds and even reports of funnel clouds over Brooklyn. What I woke up to, though, was simply a 102 year old subway system that was completely shut down. Utter chaos ensued. With no subway service, and barely functioning commuter trains, Manhattan was inundated with cars all trying to cram themselves in. And all the busses were similarly crammed with people trying to get to work.

When I first joined the masses at the bus stop, we all watched as three over-full busses went by without even stopping. Then two more came by where I couldn't get on. Finally, I was able to stand on the bottom step, just as the doors were closing. Seeing some space further in, I quietly asked the lady next to me if she would move in a little to give the rest of us some space. Some guy thought I was referring to him, and started yelling about how rude I was being. Then another guy started yelling at the first for yelling at me.

By the way, thanks. You got pushed toward the back, and I was pushed toward the front, so I never got to thank you in person.



Yet, all of this begs the question; how has a subway system over one hundred years old not yet learned to deal with rain?

No comments: