Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"Poor Little Rhode Island...."

While exploring "upstate" Connecticut during our anniversary weekend, Lynn and I drove to a small town just inside Rhode Island.  We had no particular purpose other than it was one of the two states east of the Mississippi River that I hadn't seen.

Westerly, Rhode Island was a fairly typical town.  But I kept thinking of my grandmother.  When I was kid spending time at my grandparents' house, she would often sing to herself while cleaning or cooking.  They were never songs I knew, but I loved hearing them and would follow her around the house listening.  I had to be careful and quiet, because she tended to stop and pay attention to me if she saw me.  One song I can still hear in her voice:
Poor little Rhode Island,
Smallest of the forty-eight!
I haven't seen my grandma in person for a long time, but it was nice to meet her in Rhode Island.

No comments: