Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Big Update, or, How I Learned to Pronounce "Quinnehtukqut"

Just for you.

After two wonderful years in NYC, I've moved--temporarily, mind--to the suburbs. Yes, I'm staying in Stamford, CT to avoid the exorbitant rents in the city until the job search reaches a successful conclusion. (Call me a Nutmegger, and face the consequences!) Friday morning I moved most of my furniture up to my dad's place in the Catskills, and spent the rest of that night and following morning hanging out with him and my uncle. Saturday I moved the rest down to Stamford, but quickly ran back into the city for a very important birthday party, making Sunday night my first night in CT and yesterday my first day as a suburbanite (the horror!).

So, what have I learned about this tiny little state? Well, it only takes about half an hour to get "upstate," it's the most densely populated state in the union, and has the highest per capita income, making it the wealthiest state as well. It's been home to Michael Bolton, Ann Coulter, and President Bush the Younger--but despite all this, still seems to be a pretty nice place. There are a lot of parks, and the rolling hills and forests make it downright beautiful, especially now that the leaves are changing. Of course, we mustn't forget the F4U Corsair, official state aircraft of Connecticut.

All in all, though, things are moving along. Job interviews are rolling in, all scheduled for later this month. The family I'm staying with is beyond wonderful, and I'm only a 45 minute drive from the ol' Manhattan neighborhood where friends and loved one still reside.

The summer past was, for lack of better description, busy. Two weddings in Michigan and one in North Carolina were a blast. It's wonderful to see so many of my friends find such happiness. A trip to Wisconsin was a lot of fun. My last (for now) observing run at Kitt Peak was wonderful (especially my rental car--brand new Mustang!). Lots of traveling, indeed, but it was all worth it. Should I expand on this? Probably, but knowing me, I'll never really get around to it.

These days the goal is to get back into the city as quickly as possible, so all you potential employers out there, hire me! Second to that, I've just got to put together a good group for playing Killer Bunnies....

....oh, and I have to look for a plane ticket to Houghton. More on that later. (If you're lucky.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Minimalistic, but at least you've come back to us. Thank you for the long-awaited update! Best of luck at the interviews...try to remember to tell us all how they go so we can all pariciate in the happy-dances!
All the best, Shaz