Thursday, December 07, 2006

And Now For Something Completely Different

Yesterday did not start well. I slept in a little, and cut myself shaving, and couldn't find any hot water for a shower, and the glass was half empty, and cracked, and I cut my lip on it, and chipped a tooth.

However, once I was awake and moving, I had to get into the city for an interview with Conde Nast. Now, I know what you're thinking; "Conde Nast? The magazine publisher?" Yes, the very same. I was offered a position as a producer of the websites that accompany the magazines! I've been fiddling with websites for years, but never really considered it a career. Even in this job, though, I won't be coding much (there's a whole design team for that), but I'll be producing. What this means is a little unclear to me at the moment, but I think it mainly involves checking everything over to make sure it'll look right on the screen, clearing everything with the magazine, and finally taking the website live for the world to see.

Not something I ever would have thought I'd be doing. But, I do enjoy playing with websites, and getting paid for it hardly seems a burden! I'm starting as a temporary hire, until I can learn their system and gain some experience. With some hard work, I'll be able to step into a permanent position in a few months.

And all of this is because I sped across the country to meet my aunt for drinks. Go figure.

It'll take some time for all the paper shuffling to occur, but hopefully I'll be starting next week!

Oh, and I still haven't heard back from that other company. It's been almost a week. If they offer me more, I'll probably still go with them. But at this rate, I don't know if I'll ever heard back from them....

No comments: