Monday, December 18, 2006

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off to.....Work?

First day on the new job; you want to make a good impression, you want to show up a little early, you want to prove to your new colleagues and coworkers that you're the right person and deserve to be there....

....you want to do something.

I arrived at the building a good twenty minutes early--my first mistake. Getting up to the offices, there was no one around to let me in. (Little did I know, there's a receptionist on the floor below me who could have let me in.) So, I wandered around a bit, and conveniently ran into my new boss on her way in. She showed me my new desk (which is unfortunately temporary, as it's right by a window), gave me a paper describing how to setup my computer, and asked me to wait until another person came in to actually show me what to do. Well, the computer took a few seconds, and I've read all the papers that happened to be sitting on my desk (no idea if they're meant for me). Since then, I've just been waiting. Over an hour.

I met the guy who's desk is next to mine, he seems very nice. A few other folks have given me curious glances, but mostly the office is still pretty empty. It's 10:20am!

Maybe this isn't far off from grad school after all....

No comments: