Saturday, December 23, 2006

"I'll Be Home For Christmas, If Only In My Dreams"

This will be the first Christmas in all my years that won't be spend with my family.

I've got a wonderful new job, and I'm really enjoying it (more details to come later), but it means I don't get much time off for the holidays. We had a half-day on Friday, and we get Christmas day off--but it's back to work on Tuesday morning. The same goes for the New Year, though I've asked for all of that Friday off. I need the money, it's the right choice. But still, it just won't be the same without Christmas eve and morning with my mom. It won't be the same without the big dinner with all the Soave's. It won't be the same without our crazy gift-giving game that no one can ever remember the rules of.

It won't be the same without my family.

I am, however, blessed with a warm welcome to the Christmas of my girlfriend's family. They're traditions are different, but their hearts are the same.

I feel both sad and happy at the same time.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You neglected to mention that you're going to miss me dragging you for a third time to a boring xmas eve party where you would be forced to eat lots of Polish food, sing the "five golden rings" part of that twelve days of christmas song (in alarming decent harmony with my brother and I ... though he's not going to be at the party either), and of course participate in the traditional wandering around the room with a styrofoam cracker in hand while being forced to kiss or hug complete strangers.

Yeah, I think you're better off. And you get to skip the crazy holiday zoo at the airports.

merry xmas mister, -a

Amanda said...

I did end up with "five golden rings" again. Nobody ever wants it, and I think they're beginning to figure out that I'll do just about anything. So I'm sitting in the kitchen eating, thinking that I'm part of the "nine ladies dancing", listening to people bicker for a while about not wanting the part, and then I hear "Where's Mandy? Mandy?!". So it goes.

I magically got a partner in the end, (alcohol induced courage) and we were really bad. But I brought myself chinese takeout and got to play with puppy dogs. So all is well in the world.