Thursday, November 29, 2007

"This is One Hell of a Building"

After last night's meeting, I hung around a bit to talk to P---, the building owner who was part of the rebuilding team of 90 West. An architect by trade, P--- first saw the building just after September 11th, when it was completely enshrouded in scaffolding. The damage to such a beautiful building was heartbreaking, but when he was taken up to the 21st floor and shown the detail and sculpture on the facade he knew it was worth any investment. Here are a few other fascinating facts about the building that I learned from P---.

Since the building is in the flood plane of the Hudson River (which is actually an estuary around NYC), the entire building is built upon under-water wooden piles. On top of these rest the steel columns encased in terra cotta block.

Originally, Cass Gilbert (the designer of 90 West, and later the Woolworth Tower) intended there to be an elaborate clock tower rising from the middle front of the building.

The gargoyle that guards our mailboxes is one of the three original gargoyles of that type remaining. Before P--- and his team took over the building, there was a very low-budget rebuilding planned. Part of that scheme involved recasting all of the sculptured gargoyles in fiberglass and then painting them to look like granite. So they sent one of the three intact gargoyles to a fiberglass facility. When P---'s group took over, they decided to rebuild everything using the original materials. They employed hundreds of granite carvers from Buffalo, NY all the way to northern Italy. And when they replaced all of the gargoyles atop the building, they learned of this one other original gargoyle at the fiberglass facility. So they shipped it back and installed it in the lobby.

In the northeast corner of the lobby is the only original 1907 terra cotta pilaster left. All the others were damaged or destroyed in the 70's when the building (an office building at the time) acquired its "modern" lobby. By the time P---'s group decided to restore the lobby to its 1907 splendor, no one knew if there was anything left of the original lobby. P--- told me last night of pulling down the northeast wall of the "modern" lobby and discovering the original terra cotta pilaster. He said it was "like opening Tut's tomb." They cast that pilaster and used it to recreate the rest of the pilasters around the lobby. But you can still tell which one is the original, it even feels different from the others to the touch.

The gargoyles around the 16th floor, which are just heads with faces, were all lost in the 9/11 damage. P---'s team recast them, but having no faces to reference, they took a note from Cass Gilbert's book and put themselves into the gargoyles. You'll find P---'s face up there, as well as his nephew, and many other of the leaders of the restoration project.

On the roof of the building are three recreated granite griffins, all facing the WTC out of respect. There is also a plaque commemorating the two people who died in the elevator during the 9/11 attacks.

P---, as I said before, loves this building. His face lights up at the chance to talk about it's structure, design, history--everything. He even offered to take me on a tour of the more interesting elements of the building when all this mess is behind us. I cannot wait to take him up on that.

"This is one hell of a building," he said.

7 comments:

Andrew said...

Further information about the building:

Wikipedia
Pictures form the reconstruction
NYC-architecture
Article about the reconstruction effort

Nate said...

Cool description Andrew. I hope we can move back in soon to enjoy the building again! :)


There should be a huge postdiluvian party once everything is settled and everyone is back in, safe and sound.

Andrew said...

Funny you should mention. P--- said he wanted to hold a big party for the 100th anniversary of the building for all the residents. I suggested it be a "welcome home" party when we move back in, and he seemed to like the idea.

Thanks for the feedback!

Derek said...

I love our building too and thanks for speaking to the character and history of the West Street Building. It's a building that has survived 911 and it will certainly survive a deluge in the basement.

Brief aside, I wonder if it is possible to put the electrical control room in a less vulnerable place? Perhaps, but we would not want to comprimise the ambience and charm of this majestic building.

Yes, I really have to admit to some cynicism this morning. I know I am not the only tenant this week to have entertained the thought of moving out. The thought crossed my mind this morning riding the PATH train from Newark, looking up at that building just teetering there above all the sewer drain pipes jutting out of the outer perimeter of the WTC disaster / construction zone. Even though the building is marvelous and conveniently located for me it is also inconvenient in some ways, dirty, noisy, if but only briefly, lacking electricity and running water :-)

Andrew said...

Even I have to admit that when I first saw the notice saying two weeks, my thoughts were, "Two weeks? I could find another apartment in two weeks!" I'm sure that's going through a lot of heads now, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if we see a big turnover of new tenets as leases expire this year.

The building certainly has its problems. Or rather, I've always felt everything surrounding the buliding caused more problems than the building itself. But everywhere does. My last apartment was quieter, but was on an alley so it was dark all the time. The one before that was the most conveniently located place I could imagine--but it was roughly the size of my bathroom at 90 West. It'll be interesting to see what happens to 90 West when this is all over.

Anonymous said...

I moved into the building at the beginning of October. It was a very quick relocation and I didn't have a lot of time to look at places, but of all the places I did look at, 90 West was my favourite.

I did a bit of research online, discovered something about the building's history and architecture and decided to take the apartment.

However, my lease is up next October and I'm not sure if I will renew it. I love the building and actually like the neighbourhood, but we are essentially living in the middle of a construction zone.

For the past couple of days, I've been staying at a friend's place at the tip of battery park and am marveling at how quiet it is. No jackhammers! And at 90 West, I'm on the 19th floor. I imagine the noise is much worse on the lower levels.

Before this happened, a friend of mine had encouraged me to ride up to a 20-something floor at the Marriot to look at the architectural detail and gargoyles around the top of the building. So Monday night I did have the opportunity to do so. It truly is a beautiful building.

So yes, I am feeling some conflict as to whether I should stay or go.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate reading this amidst all the whining by some residents. I <3 90 West, and miss it dearly this past week.